The Superchops Embouchure

The embouchure is created by first gently placing the underside of the tongue tip section (all the way across, and about 3mm in from actual tip) onto the cutting edges of the bottom teeth. Then pull the bottom lip up and slightly over the bottom teeth to allow the whole of the tip end of the tongue (all the way across) to rest onto the bottom lip, still keeping the underside portion of the tip lightly touching the bottom teeth. Then curl the remaining part of the tongue upward towards the roof of the mouth and into the back of the top teeth. You need to close the lips around the tongue into a pucker but the lips do not touch each other, they leave a gap for the curled tongue to protrude slightly and so allowing the underside of the top lip to make contact with it. It is only the top lip that vibrates against the tongue when producing a sound. The tip section of the tongue never leaves contact with the bottom teeth (cutting edge only - not behind bottom teeth) and the bottom lip. Start by trying to buzz a sound (Callet calls this Spit Buzz); hence without the instrument or mouthpiece.

Please note that when you play, the back of the tongue will drop even further down from the roof of the mouth to allow the air to freely pass over it. This position will be lower in the mouth when playing in the low register, and a little higher (creating more tongue curl and air compression) for the upper register. It should be noted however that it is the front section of the 'tongue wedge' pushing into the top teeth and upper lip that creates the main air compression.

I have added some scary pictures that show the formation of my embouchure. The first picture has the lips opened up to show the position of the tongue wedge and open teeth. The second picture shows the lips closed around the tongue in the playing position. You can see the tongue protruding over the pulled in/up bottom lip, and also pressing into the top lip. The third picture shows the position of the mouthpiece on my lips while actually playing.



9 comments:

Alan Bray said...

I found the description of the embouchure very helpful, this is where I was going wrong! The example spit buzzing were clear and very enlightening (my tongue was in the wrong position).
After a few hours of practice (and a very tired tongue), I started to get it!
This has been SO helpful to me.
Keep up the good work.

Alan Bray said...

This has helped me a lot. I found the description of the tongue position showed me where I was going wrong.
A very impressive blog which every one who has had problems changing from their old embouchure to msc will find very helpful.
Keep up the good work.

Unknown said...

I have a problem about the tip of the tongue which I need to put at my lip. Everytimes I tonguing, my tougue will slip out. Now, I'm focusing on lip curling and putting the tip of the tongue at the lower lip. Is that correct? And for the shape of the tongue. How should I shape it? "You need to close the lips around the tongue into a pucker but the lips do not touch each other" How exactly should I do that?

David said...

Hello,
Yes, the tip of your tongue (nearly all the way across) should be in contact with your bottom lip. Practice Spit Buzzing first (no mouthpiece or instrument). You need to arch the tongue so that the tip section in contact with the bottom lip is the lowest part of the tongue in the mouth. When you close the lips around the tongue this must still leave an opening at the front to keep the lips open (not touching each other in the area where they come in contact with the mouthpiece).

David.

Atle said...

Thank you for sharing your experience in such detail. This is really meaningfull blogging :-)

I started playing the trumpet again last autumn, trying to rid myself of old habits (open embouchure, upward instrument angle and a lot of pressure to the lips). It is working pretty well - my register is almost an octave wider than it used to be, and my stamina is from another world. Nevertheless, stability and predictability - in sum trusting the embouchure is still an issue.

I have read about the super chops before in this process, but you describe it in a way that makes me think this might be the missing link on my path towards new delight in trumpet playing. It doesn't seem like an experiment for the few freaks of screaming in your story; rather simply another way of playing.

Particularly your note 24 - where you realize that you put the tip of your tongue on the top of your lower teeth seems to make a difference; doing that while following your instructions, really anchors the whole system - or at least it feels that way, for a potential super chops freshman:-)
Would you recommend taking this as a starting point rather than the more open description of tongue position in the earlier comments? Or have I got something wrong here?

And again, nice work, thank you!

David said...

Hello Atle,
Good to hear you are finding this helpful. Yes, tongue lightly touching the top of the bottom teeth is a good starting point and that hence needs to be combined with my earlier embouchure setting description. My notes in that section are progressive over time and need to be viewed with that in mind. Sounds like you are doing really well - well done!
Keep in touch.

Dave.

walfer said...

Someone could tell me if the tip of my tongue is on top or just below the red line the outside of the lower lip during the game and the tip of the tongue can not rise in lenhum moment?
Sorry for spelling errors

q said...

Hello my name is Emanuel Amaral and i am a trumpet player(upstream with an extreme overbite) and i always use this technique but until i see your blog i don t know if is a correct way of play. I actually struggle with my endurance and i notice that my upper lips disappears and i don t know if my technique is the correct one. Can you give me some tips ?and its possible i send you a video for you to see my playing formation ?Thanks and sorry if the information that said were not the more conclusive. My email is emanuelamaral86@gmail.com

Aaron said...

Dave, very kind of you to do this. It's invaluable. I am grateful. I am trying to learn this method after giving up on the trombone years ago. I have begun to learn the tuba, and I am applying this embouchure system to that now.